The sweet staff at Donut Palace are getting ready for the pastry community’s favorite holiday: National Donut Day. This holiday has a long and storied history and provides a fantastic excuse for relaxing with your favorite “holey” treat.
The Monroe, LA, donut shop is well-versed in everything involving the celebrated confection and are pleased to offer the following tidbits about National Donut Day, which occurs every first Friday in June:
- World War I Origins: The idea for National Donut Day came about during World War I when Salvation Army workers served donuts and coffee to soldiers lining the trenches in France. Donuts were meant to cheer them up as rations weren’t high-quality.
- Donut Day Support: Supporting or volunteering for National Donut Day through the Salvation Army helps the non-profit’s efforts to maintain their food programs, including Meals on Wheels and those for senior citizens.
- Great Depression Link: National Donut Day officially started during the Great Depression as a way for the Salvation Army to raise money and spread awareness about their social service programs.
- Donut Lassies: The yummy holiday honors female Salvation Army volunteers who worked tirelessly to provide home-cooked meals, clothing, mending services, writing supplies, stamps, and donuts to soldiers on the front lines during the Great War.
- Soldiers’ Helmets: During the first World War, donuts could only be fried seven at a time. The Salvation Army’s Ensign Margaret Sheldon and Adjutant Helen Purviance decided to start frying donuts in soldiers’ helmets to quicken the process!
Celebrate National Donut Day on June 3 by enjoying a glazed, sugared, frosted, cream-filled, or other delectable option at Monroe’s premier breakfast and pastry shop. Hailed as Ouachita Parish’s exceptional breakfast destination, you’ll find donuts and coffee among many other delicious options on the donut shop’s menu.
This family-owned-and-operated breakfast spot is all about making your morning a little easier, so why not stop in today? For more on donuts and other mouth-watering menu options available through Donut Palace, call (318) 605-4834, or visit the website.