On a hot, sticky day, you might think your pet deserves a dip in the swimming pool. However, while it sounds like a fun way to beat the heat, doing so could put your furry friend in danger. That’s one of the reasons why Pool Pro in Kihei, HI, advocates installing durable and protective equipment to prevent accidents.
These swimming pool specialists provide homeowners with a wide range of safety guards to keep pets secure. In addition, Maui County's premier pool maintenance company shares helpful tips to protect dogs and cats, including the following:
- Provide a Life Jacket: To be safe, put a life jacket on your pet before putting them in the pool. Some animals take to water right away, while others may be a bit skittish. Go at their pace as they get accustomed to the jacket and water.
- Keep Watch: Even if your pet can swim, never leave them unattended. Just as with children, it only takes seconds for things to go from fun to dangerous. Keep a keen eye for signs of stress or unease in the water.
- Enroll Them in Swimming Lessons: For added safety, consider enrolling your pet in swimming lessons. Work with a certified instructor who has the training, compassion, and patience to work with dogs and other animals.
- Be Mindful of Chlorine: Unfortunately, the chlorine in swimming pools may irritate your pet's eyes and skin. To avoid this, rinse them with clean water after swimming. Check with your local pet supply store about shampoos and other products that can help prevent irritation.
- Stop Pool Water Drinking: You should also stop your four-legged friends from drinking pool water. Chlorine and other chemicals in the water may cause them to become sick. Always have fresh water on hand for your dogs after they've enjoyed their time in the pool.
With all of the unconditional love they give, it’s only fair to return the favor by keeping your pets safe around swimming pools. Since 1985, Pool Pro has designed a wide range of features designed to provide safety and beauty. To learn more about pool service options for your home, call (808) 879-3294 today. Check out the website to view the stunning photo gallery of completed projects.